You can now take back your words. Literally. Facebook Messenger has a new feature now that lets you do just that.
- The new feature incorporated similar to the ‘Delete For Everyone’ feature in WhatsApp’
- You can now delete any message within 10 minutes of sending it
- The feature is now available in Bolivia, Lithuania, Columbia, and Poland
- Both iOS and Android users can avail this feature.
- You can delete text, group chats, videos, and photos that were sent by mistake
The Instant Messaging platform of Facebook is getting revamped with a new feature which is similar to the ‘Delete For Everyone’ feature in WhatsApp. You no longer have to worry about the drunken messages at 3 AM in the morning that you instantly regret. Same goes for the embarrassing typos and the awkward messages that sounded perfectly fine in your head.
How to use this feature?
- Open the chat in which you send the message
- Long Press the message that has to be deleted
- A popup will appear on the screen bearing the options – ‘Remove For Me’ and ‘Remove For Everyone’
- Once any of the options are selected, a warning will appear that reads – ‘You’ll permanently remove this message for all chat members. They can see that you removed a message and still report it.’
- Once you confirm, the original message will be removed
Incidentally, the news about the unsend feature started spreading when Facebook deleted some private messages sent by the CEO, Mark Zuckerberg. Facebook clarified that they deleted the messages because of security issues. Ahem. The company only stated that it will allow anyone to unsend messages within the next few months.
Facebook has taken measures to ensure that this new feature will not open venues for online bullying. It does not rule out the possibility that somebody can send bad messages and delete it before the recipient can report it. For this end, Facebook will also keep the deleted messages in the database for some time to review the messages in case any user is reported.
This new Facebook Messenger feature update follows some major rollouts this year like a new design layout with a much simpler interface and personalization options for chats. Also, there are talks flying around about a new feature called ‘Dark Mode’ which is set to release soon.
Also Read: Four Big New Features Added To WhatsApp